The emergence of garment steamers as an alternative method to ironing
With the rise of busy lifestyles, more and more people are opting for alternatives such as clothes steamers instead of traditional irons. Find out why this trend is growing in popularity, especially among millennials and Gen Z, and what the benefits of a steamer or clothes steamer could be for you.
There is a change going on when it comes to ironing and dry cleaning
There are several articles about how the new generation irons less and makes more use of alternatives such as clothes steamers. This is mainly because people are increasingly busy and want to spend less time on household tasks such as ironing.
There is a trend that the new generation irons less than the previous generations. Research shows that millennials and Gen Z still value neat, ironed clothes, but prefer comfort, speed and convenience.
According to a study by Euromonitor International, the number of irons sold worldwide has fallen from 174 million in 2012 to 146 million in 2017. This could indicate a decrease in the number of households that have an iron at home. This is only expected to decrease further in the coming years. Another study by Nibud in the Netherlands shows that 69% of households have an iron at home. This is a decrease compared to previous years.
The popularity of steam devices is increasing among all target groups
In general, a garment steamer is more popular among younger age groups, such as millennials and Gen Z, than among older age groups. This is because younger people often have less time for household chores and value convenience and efficiency more. In addition, garment steamers are often easier to use and less time consuming than flat irons, making them more attractive to people who do not like or have little experience with ironing.
Who is a clothes steamer ideal for?
The advantages and disadvantages of ironing and steaming at a glance
Benefits of ironing:
- Ironing gives a smooth result, making clothes look neat and professional.
- Ironing can help remove stubborn creases and creases.
Disadvantages of ironing:
- Ironing can be time consuming, especially if you have a lot of clothes to iron.
- Using an iron can be dangerous as the hot surface can cause burns.
- Ironing can cause damage to the fabric if the iron is too hot or left on an area for too long.
- Using an iron can seriously attack and crush the fibers of the fabric. Frequent ironing will cause the fabric to wear out faster.
- The color may be affected
Advantages of steaming:
- Steaming is quick and easy, as all you have to do is hang the clothes and wait for the steam to do its job.
- Steaming is safer than ironing because there is no hot surface to cause burns.
- Steaming is gentler on the fabric than ironing because there is no direct contact with a hot surface.
- The hot steam lifts the fibers of the fabric and makes them 'full' again. The textile absorbs the steam and small water particles, which causes the fibers of the fabric to swell somewhat. This contributes to the disappearance of the wrinkles, but it is also very good for the strength (in the long term) of the textile.
- Color is not affected
Disadvantages of steaming:
- Steaming may not be effective at removing very stubborn creases or creases.
- Steaming cannot make the fabric as smooth as ironing can.
What should you pay attention to when buying a clothes steamer?
When choosing a clothes steamer, there are some important factors to consider. Below we give you some tips to help you make the right choice.
- Power and capacity
When choosing a clothes steamer, it is important to look at the power and capacity of the device. A high-powered garment steamer will work more efficiently and heat it up faster than a low-powered model. It is also useful to look at the capacity of the water tank. A larger water tank means you can steam for longer without refilling the appliance.
- Clothes steamer type
There are several types of garment steamers on the market, including handheld steamers, upright steamers, and steam generators. Each variant has its own advantages and disadvantages. For example, a handheld steamer is useful for smaller surfaces and to take with you on a trip. Standing steamers usually have more power and capacity, but they take up more space. Steam generators are the most powerful, but also the most expensive.
- Additional features
Some garment steamers have additional features, such as a steam boost or a built-in hanger. This can be useful if you often steam different types of clothes.
- Quality and durability
A luxury steamer from STEAMRS is made from high quality materials and is designed to last. By investing in a high-quality clothes steamer, you avoid having to buy a new one on a regular basis. Cheaper models often have lower quality parts and are less durable.
Finally, price is an important factor when choosing a clothes steamer. A luxury steamer from STEAMRS is of course more expensive than other cheaper models on the market, but it is also of considerably better quality and lasts many times longer. Think about your budget and what features you really need before making a choice. Also consider sustainability and the materials the steamer is made of.
All in all, it is important to look at the power, capacity, type, additional functions, quality, durability and price when choosing a clothes steamer. A STEAMRS luxury garment steamer has all the benefits you look for in a garment steamer and will iron your clothes in no time at all. Invest in a STEAMRS garment steamer and enjoy wrinkle-free clothes without the hassle of an iron and ironing board.
In short, if you are not an ironing fan, try out a clothing steamer! Would you like a clothes steamer that is made of high-quality, luxurious quality, and that also looks stylish in your interior? Then the STEANRS clothes steamer might be the ideal match for you. the STEAMRS garment steamer offers powerful steam technology, versatility, ease of use and durability, making it a great choice over other models and competitors.